I don’t know if it is only in the Philippines whose noontime block on TV is packed seven times a week with variety of game and musical shows on basically two top Philippine TV networks and their avid followers leaves no option on what to watch on noon and afternoon siesta, no matter how the top Philippine TV reformat, axed, or replace their noontime variety (game and musical) shows; that’s how loyal they are. However, thank god that there are multiple options now of what to watch in the noon and afternoon hours if one want to keep alive or not sleepy, compare back then, so that we will not be intoxicated with so much of the same thing every day.
However, I list here all the noontime shows in the Philippines that has been aired since the birth of noontime shows in the Philippines.
1. Student Canteen – this is the very first noontime show in the Philippines that starts from 1958 to 1990.It was aired on different Philippine TV station but it was first telecast at CBN network or ABS-CBN channel 2 at present, which was conceived at the canteen of CBN then. Its original title is CBN canteen and also was aired on the CBN canteen itself but was later change to Student Canteen.
2. Magandang Tanghali – the fist successor of Student Canteen (the Student Canteen then was temporarily off air due to leave of prime show host of it, eddie Ilarde.)This noontime show airs in 1967.
3. Stop, Look and Listen – another successor of Student Canteen premiers successively with Magandang Tanghali
4. Twelve O’ Clock High –another successor of Student canteen that premiers before the Martial Law
5. Ariel con Tina – a reformat version of Twelve O’Clock High when CBN network was closed due to Martial Law on RBS network which was not closed during martial law before it is just a station loaded with foreign shows. The Twelve O’ Clock High was moved here and was replaced with a new name. It airs from 1972 to 1974.
6. Lunch Break – this noontime was the replacement of Ariel con Tina before RBS network or now GMA channel 7 revived Student Canteen.
7. Eat Bulaga – eat bulaga primiers at 1979 on RPN channel 9 (now SolarTV channel)in tight competition with revived Student canteen on RBS network or GMA network, which it eventually win on the ratings.
8. Alas Dose sa Trese – this noontime show premiers in 1998 at IBC 13 or channel 13 (now off air)
9. Lunch Date – this noontime show premiers March 10, 1986 to March 19,1993 at GMA channel 7.This noontime show was in tight competition with Eat Bulaga on ABS –CBN channel 2 then.
10. Salo-Salo Together (SST) – this noontime show premiers after Lunch Date was axed. This was also in tight competition with Eat Bulaga on ABS-CBN channel 2 then.
11. Sang Linggo nAPO sila – the former Sunday show of the APO Hiking Society group has move to become a noontime show on ABS-CBN channel after Eat Bulaga leaves for GMA channel 7 in 1995 to 1998.
12. Magandang Tanghali Bayan(MTB) – another new noontime show in ABS-CBN channel 2 replacing Sang Linggo nAPO sila in November 30,1998 to February 4,2005.The noontime show have replacement titles like Masayang Tanghali Bayan and Esep-Esep.
13. Wowowee – the controversial noontime show after MTB that premiers on February 5, 2005 after MTB or Magandang Tanghali Bayan ended.
15. Pilipinas Win na Win – a brand new noontime show in replacement with the axed of Wowowee which premiers July 31, 2010.