The Philippines being an Archipelago is divided not by states but by regions. It was divided into this way because it is a group of islands or archipelago in the Pacific Oceans and this was proposed and imposed to solve the unexpected onslaughts of problems arising from the different islands of the Philippines, like the poor communication and transportation into another islands, the slow pace of economic progress and civilization from remotes areas, the slow and poor trade of commodities from island to island., the dispute from the main central government against the remotes areas of every islands of the country, the problem of preservation of Philippine cultures, and other similar sorts of problems if it will not be divided into regions. This regionalization of the country was proposed and imposed by the late former president Ferdinand E. Marcos by the Presidential decree no.742 at January 1976.The Philippines is divided into thirteen regions. However, these 13 regions have become 16 regions as of the present time in accordance to Presidential decree of 1978.
These Philippine regions are united into four purposes: (1).to maintain the beauty of their respective regions, (2) to hasten the communication to every region, (3) good local governance of their respective regions to avoid or solve immediately problems that will arise, and (4) to reinforce unity in every region of the country. Moreover, these regions are also united to control the Philippine population to increase continually. For in them the Philippines population depends upon.
These 16 regions comprise the following which also comprise the population in the Philippines.
- NCR –National Capital Region – this comprise the whole Metro Manila Philippines, the Quezon City, the Pasay city, the Muntinlupa, Paranaque, and others.
- Region I – Ilocos region – this region only comprise four provinces, namely Ilocos Norte, locos Sur, La Union and Pangasinan.
- Region II – Cagayan Valley Region – this comprise Batanes, Cagayan, Isabela, Nueva Vizcaya and Quirino.
- Region III – Central Luzon Region –this comprise Angeles City, Cabanatuan, Olongapo, Pampanga, Palayan, San Jose, Bataan, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac, and Zambales.
- Region IV- Southern Tagalog Region – this comprises Batangas, Rizal, Laguna, Mindoro occidental and oriental, Cavite, Lipa, Lucena, Puerto Princesa, San Pablo, Tagaytay, Trece Martires, Aurora, Marinduque, Palawan and Romblon.
- Region V – Bicol Region – this comprises Camarines Norte and Sur, Albay, Catanduanes, Masbate, Sorsogon, Legaspi, Iriga and Naga.
- Region VI – Western Visayas Region – this comprise Bago city, Bacolod, Cadiz, Iloilo, Roxas, San Carlos, Silay city, Aklan, Antique, Capiz, Negros Occidental, Guimaras, and La Carlotta.
- Region VII – Central Visayas Region – this comprise Bais city, Canlaon city, Cebu, Lapu-Lapu city, Mandaue, Toledo city, Bohol, Negros Oriental, and Siquijor.
- Region VIII – Eastern Visayas Region – this comprise Tacloban, Calbayog, Ormoc, Biliran, Leyte, Southern Leyte, Eastern Samar, Northern Samar, and Western Samar.
- Region IX – Western Mindanao Region – this comprise Dapitan, Dipolog, Pagadian, Zamboanga Del Norte, Zamboanga Del Sur and Basilan.
- Region X- Northern Mindanao Region – this comprise Cagayan de Oro, Gingoog city, Oroquieta, Ozamis, Tangub, Bukidnon, Camiguin, Misamis Occidental, and Misamis Oriental.
- Region XI – Southern Mindanao Region – this comprise Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, General Santos, Davao Oriental, South Cotabato, and Sarangani.
- Region XII- Central Mindanao Region – .this comprise Lanao Del Norte, Sultan Kudarat and Northern Cotabato.
- Caraga Region – this comprise Agusan Del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Butuan, Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur.
- ARMM (Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao) – this comprise Lanao Del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu, and Tawi-Tawi.
- CAR (Cordillera Administrative Region) – this comprise Abra, Benguet, Ifugao, Kalinga Apayao and Mountian Province.
From the 16 regions we discuss above where Philippine population is based, it is estimated that the total population in the Philippines is approximately 90 million. Moreover, the population of tourist who visit and stay in the Philippines is not yet included there, what more if we included them in the Philippines population?