Pinas Top News # 1
I would like to begin a weekly compilation of Top news in the Philippines within a week that makes a great noise or that affects the entire Philippines; I would like to begin from the past week.
(1) Pacquaio-Mosley Fight. Of course, another most anticipated fight Manny Pacquiao against Shane Mosley heads the top news in the Philippines beginning May 8 because this is the day the two boxing champs will have their best of fist on the world boxing ring wherein people around the world will witness who has the stronger fist.
As anticipated, it is still Manny Pacquiao who wins the fight and another hooray week for Pinoys and Manny received again a hero’s welcome from his hometown General Santos city.
However, the Catholic Church make noise again aside from its loud campaign against RH Bill when Bishop Dinualdo Gutierrez who claims to be a close friend of Manny Pacquiao that boxing is “un-Christian”;and boxing or punching other person according to the Bishop is “boxing the Holy Spirit” and advise Manny to retire.
The Catholic Bishop claims his views from a leading Jesuit journal in Rome, entitled “Civilta Cattolica” that the boxing and boxing sports industry (boxing business) is “Immoral” because it is based on violence and exploitation.
(2) Storm “Bebeng”. The transition from a mere tropical depression into tropical storm has devastated Northern Luzon and Eastern Visayas with fatalities.
(3) Justin Bieber Concert. The famous international young pop star singer Justin Bieber have cause a one day frenzied excitement among his Filipino fans in the Philippines when he arrived and do a single concert in the Philippines for his “My World Tour” concerts at the open grounds of Mall of Asia which left his Filipino fans shrieking and screaming.
Even after his concert, his concert is still the talk of the town.
(4) The RH Bill War. Hotter than before; this boiling war between pro-RH and anti-RH will seemingly will not cease until it explodes into dividing the Philippines into two. For the strongest opposition group against the RH Bill – the Catholic Church has warn the Aquino administration of “civil disobedience” and all-out-war” if Aquino approve the bill but Aquino retorted that he will arrest them and put them to jail.
(5) Have No “Merci”. The hypocritical Aquino camp, headed by the Black and White Movement to purge all GMA appointed officials and cast an evil suspicion and slander them on public eye though they successfully force to oust former Ombudsman Merceditas Gutierrez from her post and file a double impeachment case against her, still not satisfied with her voluntary resignation. Truly Aquino and his Black and White Movement affiliate have no “merci” and continually to project moral hypocrisy.
That is in my opinion are the top news in the Philippines from May 8 to May 12; next week I will also present the top happenings in the Philippines.