ASEAN Energy Award
Philippines Can’t Build Building Awards?
The ASEAN Energy Awards that is staged annually and awarded Asian countries that promotes energy efficiency and energy conservations on the buildings they erect, still did not recognized the Philippines’ building sector.; For the Philippines have not yet won any current recognition or awards from it from the recent Awards nights whereas in the past the Philippines do even though it is still only runners-up awards.The recent recipient of the energy awards is Singapore. So what’s wrong with our buildings now?
Actually, the recent oil spill on the West Tower Condominium has added disgrace to Philippines building sector in front of many people not only on ASEAN Countries but also on other Non-ASEAN countries. What transpire on the West Tower Condominium is the waste of energy and resources due to energy mismanagement within the building by the building owner and administrator. Wherein not only it waste away the resources in the building but also contaminate the quality of the air outside the building which is indeed bring shame to those who witness it. However, not all building in the Philippines are like the West Tower Condominium who have problems like what they are encountering now; for there are those other building owners in the Philippines who try and strive to make their buildings green as possible and apply for the ASEAN Energy Awards but could not still make it due to like the West Tower Condominium incident who make a mess. But a mess could not rend the curtain of the building sectors in the Philippines if it is quickly clean up and fix as soon as possible to combat much tearing.
By the way, the ASEAN Energy Awards have four categories of awards, namely: (1) New and Existing Building, (2) Tropical Building, (3) Retrofitted Building, and (4) Special Submission Award.
1. New and Existing Building Category is an open category. The requirement only is that the buildings must be 1-5 years old.
2. Tropical Buildings Category is also an open category. The requirement for one’s building to qualify for this kind of award is that one’s building should have an emphasis on passive deigns, the usage of air-conditioning facilities is less than 50 % of the total gross floor area, and the building must be not more than 15 years old.
3. Retrofitted Building Category. This category is only for those buildings that have undergone major changes and improvements into better one and have introduced energy efficiency policy within the building. This type of building must be more than 5 years old.
4. Special Submission Category. This category is not for buildings but for building sectors agencies in an Asian Country like Philippines who do special projects and develop innovations by the usage of technologies to reduce energy consumption in the buildings.
The Department of Energy of respective ASEAN countries like in the Philippines are the one who accept the pre-application and do pre-qualification proceedings in order a specific building applicant can be accepted as a candidate of the Philippines, for example, in the annual ASEAN Energy awards. So, if you are a building owner in the Philippines and would like your own building to won an award, you can contact the Department of energy for inquiries regarding it.
However, the building types that are qualified for the competition are:
1. Office Building
4. Shopping malls or retail commercial buildings
And 6. Library Buildings.
Actually, there were already past winnings then during 2004 wherein the Philippines win numerous ASEAN Energy Awards runners up recognition like First runner up for Retrofiitted Building category; second runners up for Tropical Building category, On and Off grid categories.